K2 loves science - especially when we can "taste" our experiments! We made butter today! As part of our study of farms, we discussed animals that live on a farm and the products they give us and what we do with those products.
To make our learning engaging and hands-on, I decided to have the class make butter during our science lesson today. We discussed how we turn simple whipping cream (the fatty part of milk) into butter. And then, I sent pairs off with a jar (thanks to those that donated them!!!) filled with about 1/8th of whipping cream. They had fun shaking the jars and seeing the change that happened. Once the butter was ready, they got to try it on some saltines. Some of the students were hesitant at first and after trying it, realized how good it was! Some didn't like it, but tried it! Good for you!
Try it at home - very exciting stuff! See if your child can explain the science behind the whipping cream into butter. Please post what your child shares with you about making butter. I'd love to hear their reaction and what they tell you.
If your child was a "Cowboy of Character", they missed this activity - so all the more reason for you to try it at home!!!
Thursday, October 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Thank you for posting this. Zachary was telling me this in the car, but I don't quite understand him. Now I can discuss with him. Thanks, Jocelyn
ReplyDeleteI remember doing that when I was in school! Fun!
ReplyDeleteEthan loves science. Thank you for nurturing this side of his personality! ---- Rachel
ReplyDeleteArjun explained the science experiment to me and loved the experience...favorite part, of course, was the tasting!
ReplyDeletePam
Thank you for such a wonderful experience!Kanya was so excited when he talked about making butter.He will make it for us at home(^0^) Keiko
ReplyDeleteKyla loved it! and thanks for taking the time to share what's going on with our kids in class via this blog.
ReplyDelete